I’ve blogged a couple of months ago about how I imagine my next PC. Windows 8 launch is just few days away and there’s only one device on the market that somewhat satisfies my criteria and it’s Acer Iconia W700.
It has things I’m looking for:
- Reasonably powerful Intel Core i5 CPU
- 4gb of RAM (could’ve been more, but most of the competing products come with 2, so I’d settle for 4 for now)
- 128gb SSD (256 would be better but most tablets max out at 64 so 128 is already good)
- 11.6” Full HD IPS screen (10” is too small for my intended second screen use)
- Up to 9h battery life (I don’t buy it, but if it holds 6h+ I’d be happy)
- Has a desk docking station
- Doesn’t dock into a keyboard (mostly useless dust collector/space waster for my intended usage)
A few things I still miss:
- A real docking station. This one acts only as a stand and USB hub to be honest. I’d like to have my external monitor and headphones hooked up to the dock so I don’t have to plug/unplug them every day. Plus this one is pretty ugly :)
- A model with more than 4gb of RAM and 256gb SSD
Other than that it looks close to perfect (at least on paper) and I’m probably going to buy it. Even if to express my support for this form factor. Looks like it went ignored by other OEMs and I don’t like that.